Benefits of the SBE Program
- SBE Goals on project-by-project basis.
- Sheltered Market (construction set asides and on goods and services)
- Discounts for goods and services (1-15% for bids and quotes)
- Possible waiver of bonds
- Payment assistance / joint checks
- Progress payments / timely payments by the city
- Solicitation of certified SBEs for all contracts
- Technical and financial assistance
- Workshops, seminars and training programs
- Plans and specifications at a reduced rate
- Advocating for reciprocal certification
Eligibility and Criteria
A business that is independently owned, operated and controlled; and is not dominant in its field of operation; and which meets the following criteria:
- Goods/Services/Supplies: $3 million or less
- Construction: $5 million or less
SBE Certification Process1. Complete a city of St. Petersburg SBE application.
2. Register your company with the purchasing department
3. Effective August 1, 2009, all SBEs are required to attend the following core classes:
- How the City Buys
- Disaster Preparedness/Recovery for Small Business Owners
- City Services and Incentives
In addition to the above core classes, companies are required to attend the following business-related courses based on specialty:
Companies providing Construction Services
- Basics of Bonding (Part 1 or 2)
- Estimating and Bidding
Companies providing Goods and Services
- Pricing Fundamentals-Gross Profit Margin & Markup (Pricing for Profit)
Classes must be taken within 90 days of certification/re-certification (or certification/recertification will be revoked).
For workshop dates, check the Greenhouse training calendar on the web at: StPeteGreenhouse.org and
call (727) 893-7146 to register.
SBE Re-Certification Process
Current city of St. Petersburg SBEs renewing their existing certification need to complete:
1. Re-certification application, affidavit and required documents
Completed SBE applications can be mailed to:
440 Second Avenue North
St. Petersburg, FL 33701
If you have any questions or are in need of assistance, do not hesitate to contact the Greenhouse at 727-893-7146 or contact one of our specialists directly.
Small Business Enterprise (SBE) vendors are only certified as meeting the established criteria of the existing SBE program and not certified as qualified in any other area. The city of St. Petersburg is not recommending and does not endorse SBE vendors. The city is not responsible for and disclaims any representation made by any SBE vendor. You must do the appropriate due diligence before selecting an SBE vendor.