We never know when a disaster will strike. It is best to be prepared for it when it comes. Below are some resources
- The evacuation assistance program is offered to help local residents with special needs. You MUST register before services are needed. Visit this link to get an application and learn more about the program: www.stpete.org/hurricane
- Pinellas County Emergency Management: Surviving the Storm, It's everyone's responsibility. www.pinellascounty.org/emergency
- The Florida Developmental Disabilities Council offers information about preparing for an emergency for those with developmental disabilities. Click here for this information: www.fddc.org/news/prepare-now
- The Florida Disability Disaster Plan web page - This resource, developed by Volunteer Florida and hosted by the Florida Division of Emergency Management, is one of several tools available to help persons with disabilities and their families develop a "Florida specific" Disaster Plan. Find county information on sheltering, plan creation, and videos.
- Ready.gov - Launched in February 2003, Ready is a national public service advertising campaign designed to educate and empower Americans to prepare for and respond to emergencies including natural disasters and potential terrorist attacks. Visit the People with Disabilities and Other Special Needs page where you can find some tips and tricks to help you prepare. Ready.gov advises those with disabilities to:
- Watch this video to prepare yourself for an emergency. PSA -- Ready.gov Watch this video to prepare yourself for an emergency. PSA -- Ready.gov -- Disaster planning for Special needs and Disabilities
- Get a Kit of emergency supplies,
- Make a Plan for what you will do in an emergency, and
- Be Informed about what might happen. For further details, download a PDF version of Preparing Makes Sense for People with Disabilities and Special Needs.
The Advocacy Center provides tools to help people with disabilities make decisions and plan for a disaster. http://advocacycenter.org/resources/disability_topic_info/category/emergency_preparedness/