Penny for Pinellas
The Penny for Pinellas tax is a one percent sales tax paid by everyone who spends money in the county. It was first approved by voters in 1989 and went into effect in February 1990. Two extensions of the Penny for Pinellas have been approved; March 1997 and March 2007. The most recent extension covers another ten-year period, from February 1, 2010 to January 31, 2020.
Pinellas County voters will be asked to consider extending the Penny for Pinellas tax when they go to the polls on November 7, 2017.
The city uses the Penny for Pinellas resources to fund capital improvements to the city’s infrastructure including streets and roads, bridges, stormwater system upgrades, parks and recreation centers and public facilities.
The city has also leveraged Penny for Pinellas resources to secure additional grant funding to maximize the impact of the Penny. For example, grants from the South West Florida Water Management District (SWFWMD) have been combined with matching funds from Penny resources to complete additional stormwater management projects.
City Penny Resources:
- Map - Penny for Pinellas Accomplishments (2010 to Present - best viewable using Chrome or Firefox)
- Penny for Pinellas - Building a Better St. Petersburg and Pinellas County since 1990 flyer
- June Utility Insert
- July Utility Insert
- View the Penny for Pinellas White Board
- Penny for Pinellas Presentations
Videos (City and County):
- Penny for Pinellas White Board (City of St. Petersburg)
- Flood and Sewer Spill Solutions (Pinellas County)
- Watch the Penny Video (Pinellas County)
City of St. Petersburg Informational Meetings:
- March 23, 2017 – City Council Committee of the Whole Penny Presentation
- May 18, 2017 – City Council Committee of the Whole: Penny for Pinellas
- June 8, 2017- City Council Committee of the Whole: Penny for Pinellas
- June 15, 2017 - City Council Meeting - Penny for Pinellas
Pinellas County Board of Commissioners meetings:
- May 4, 2017 – Presentation - Penny IV proposed Categories Projects
- March 28, 2017 – Work Session - Agenda / Video
- February 14, 2017 - Work Session - Agenda / minutes / Video
- December 6, 2016 - Work Session - Agenda / Minutes / Video
Learn More about Penny for Pinellas
In 2017, St. Petersburg and Pinellas County will hold public meetings to gather input on future investments that matter most to you. Check this page for scheduled meetings and to learn about other ways you can share your ideas about potential Penny for Pinellas projects.
- Request a speaker to discuss the Penny for Pinellas with your community organization. Contact the City Marketing Department with questions at 893-7465.
- Register to vote or find information on polling locations, mail ballots and more at the Pinellas County Supervisor of Elections.
- Finally, the Penny for Pinellas referendum will be held on November 7, 2017.