Accessibility Information skip navigation

I Received a Letter

A letter from the Codes Compliance Assistance Department is a call to positive action. Proper repair of violations makes any home cleaner, safer, more appealing, and more valuable.

While many of us will properly maintain our properties without prompting, sometimes, a letter from Codes is needed to remind a property owner of their responsibilities to take care of their property and to abide by community standards. Depending upon the violations identified and the property owner's willingness and ability to make needed repairs, a letter can be the first step to qualify for volunteer or financial assistance to achieve compliance. By taking positive action to resolve the violations and talking regularly with your investigator about your needs and the progress of the work, your case can be quickly closed to compliance.

How to Contact Your Investigator
To call your investigator use the telephone number from the notice letter that appears next to the investigator's name or call (727) 893-7373.

The following instructions are provided to help you understand what to do and what you can expect after receiving a letter.

Understand the violations - Be sure you understand what the violations are and what must be done to correct them. Review the Information Sheets webpage for details about violations that may be identified in the letter. Consider asking questions of your investigator so that you can move forward with repairs quickly and correct the violations prior to the compliance date. The direct telephone number for your investigator is printed on the bottom of the letter that you received.

Know the compliance date - Be sure you know the compliance date, which is the date by which you must correct the violations.

Study your options - Review the department's Enforcement Steps to be familiar with any options. You may be eligible for an extension of time to comply.

Find out if you qualify for an extension of time - If you find that you need to request an extension of time to correct the violations, contact your investigator immediately. Extension requests must be submitted in writing prior to the first compliance date. If granted, an extension can only be for 30 days beyond the first compliance date. Some violations do not qualify for extensions.

Report when repairs are complete - Contact your investigator immediately if you have corrected the violations.

Report if you no longer own the property - If you receive a letter for a property that you no longer own, contact the Codes Compliance Assistance Department at (727) 893-7373 or the investigator listed on the letter. In some cases, there can be a time gap of 4-6 weeks from when a property is sold to when the County informs the City of the transfer to a new owner.

Ask for a volunteer or financial assistance - If you are elderly, disabled, or have financial constraints, you may qualify for assistance to resolve code violations. Contact your investigator to discuss assistance options.

A Notice of Hearing must be treated seriously - If you have received a "Notice of Hearing" instructing you to appear before the Code Enforcement Board, it is your responsibility to attend the hearing or to arrange to have an authorized representative appear on your behalf. If the representative you designate to attend the hearing is not your attorney or other legally recognized representative (such as the officer of a company that owns the property) the representative must present an Authorization to Represent to the Recording Secretary for the Code Enforcement Board and Special Magistrate, prior to the hearing. The authorization must be an original notarized document and is available on the Forms & Reports page of this website.

Print page Text resize: Increase font size Decrease font size Original font size Updated: