What Is It?
Learn about servicing, attracting and including persons with disabilities into your organization. The Committee to Advocate for Persons with Impairments holds workshops for City employees. A sample of those workshops includes accessibility, disability sensitivity and trainings on emergency preparedness. The accessibility education includes information on disability laws and ADA. The workshops have included experiential training (persons experience what it is like to have a disability) to demonstrate how barriers affect a person's access to services and facilities.
What Has Been Done?
In the past, CAPI has sponsored accessibility education in the following areas within the City. Below are a few examples:
- City Staff Members
- Area Museums and Attractions
- Services for the Grand Prix St. Petersburg
- Members of the Chamber of Commerce
Our education workshops are possible only by our volunteer partners:
- Lighthouse of Pinellas at Watson Center www.lighthouseofpinellas.org
- Disability Achievement Center: www.disabilityachievementcenter.org
- National Alliance on Mental Illness www.nami-pinellas.org
- Disability Rights Florida www.disabilityrightsflorida.org
- Boley Centers, Inc. www.boleycenters.org
- City of St. Petersburg Greenhouse www.stpete.org/greenhouse
- St. Petersburg Area Chamber of Commerce www.stpete.com
- VSA Arts of Florida www.vsafl.org
- Pinellas County Office of Human Rights www.pinellascounty.org/humanrights/default.htm
- PSTA www.psta.net
Are you interested in the training? Please contact Community Affairs at 727-893-7345 orCommunity.Affairs@stpete.org