- Sector increased by 14% over the last 10 years in the city
- Renowned concentration of blown-glass artists
- 1000+ events annually including the Mainsail Arts Festival, the Sunscreen Film Festival, and the Tampa Bay Blues Festival
- One of the Best Street Art Cities in the World (Huffington Post, 2016)
- #1 Town in America for Craft Lovers (American Craft Week, 2016)
Known as the “City of the Arts,” St. Petersburg’s thriving arts and design scene creates a unique and attractive environment for residents and visitors alike. Creative arts and design is an emerging industry sector, gaining traction with high concentrations of art dealers, musicians, photofinishing, commercial photography, and architecture. The sector is an essential economic driver, playing a key role in the city’s tourism.
St. Petersburg offers immense opportunities to enjoy the arts with dozens of top-ranked galleries, world-famous museums, and prominent performing arts companies spread throughout the city in the Warehouse Arts District, Central Arts District, Waterfront Arts District, EDGE District, and Grand Central District. As an industry sector, creative arts and design goes beyond the traditional fine arts to include businesses engaged in graphic design, new media, and gaming. These creative occupations require high levels of technical knowledge as well as workers with varying skill levels and backgrounds.
Several local institutions, including the University of South Florida and Eckerd College, cultivate talent for creative careers by offering academic programs in arts, media, and digital productions. As the cultural capital of Florida, St. Petersburg has received significant media attention in the past several years from being named a top place to visit by the New York Times to being ranked a top summer travel destination by Travel + Leisure. With a growing reputation and burgeoning arts scene, St. Petersburg is poised to experience further growth in the creative arts and design sector.
- Triad Retail Media
- Marxent Labs
- Wannemacher Jensen Architects
- Salvador Dali Museum
- Museum of Fine Arts
- Chihuly Collection
- James Museum of Western & Wildlife Art (under construction)
- Museum of the American Arts & Crafts Movement (under construction)
Galleries & Entertainment
- Morean Arts Center
- Mahaffey Theater
- The Palladium
- Duncan McClellan Gallery & DMG School Project