- Largest marine and environmental sciences community in the Southeast
- 75% of downtown marine science employees hold advanced degrees
- One of the “Top 20” in the nation for biotech (BioSpace, 2015)
- Marine sciences provide a total impact of $251 million in gross county product
- All Children’s Hospital is the 1st U.S. hospital to be affiliated with Johns Hopkins Health Systems outside of the Baltimore and Washington, D.C. area
Marine and Life Sciences is one of the city's largest business sectors, joining together the historical presence of top-tier healthcare services and the largest marine and environmental sciences community in the Southeastern United States. Businesses in this sector benefit from St. Petersburg's close proximity to the Gulf of Mexico and Tampa Bay, as well as the city's downtown Innovation District which supports prominent academic and healthcare facilities including Johns Hopkins All Children's Hospital, Bayfront Health, and the University of South Florida (USF) St. Petersburg.
The St. Petersburg Ocean Team (SPOT) anchors the Marine Sciences niche as a collective unit of the premier marine science, oceanographic, and environmental research agencies and institutions. The city supports numerous research and subsector specializations including diagnostics and imaging, as well as mapping and surveying technologies, which collectively employ more than 800 researchers, engineers, and technicians.
The Marine and Life Sciences sector is projected to experience future growth which will be supported by an increasing availability of local talent fueled by numerous educational resources in the region including USF, Eckerd College, and St. Petersburg College (SPC). In recent years, the number of degrees granted locally in health and biological sciences has increased. Impressively, St. Petersburg’s life sciences subsectors already maintain a faster rate of growth than the national average. In the future, there is an opportunity to capitalize on the synergy between the niches with more integrated research and improvements in technology transfer.
- USF College of Marine Science
- SRI St. Petersburg
- Florida Fish & Wildlife
- National Oceanic and Atmospheric Admin. (NOAA)
- Florida Inst. of Oceanography
- U.S. Geological Survey Coastal & Marine Sciences Center
- St. Petersburg Ocean Team (SPOT)
- Johns Hopkins All Children's Hospital
- Informed DNA
- Dermazone Solutions
- St. Anthony's Hospital
- Cognitive Research Corp.
- Children's Research Group
- Pulse on St. Petersburg (American College of Physicians, 2017)