St. Petersburg Announces MLK Main Events and Related Holiday Festivities January 16-20
St. Petersburg, FL (January 8, 2014) -- The MLK Holiday Legacy Association Inc. and Gulf of St. Petersburg MLK Expo ( tm ) present the 2014 MLK Drum Major for Justice Awards Banquet, Bandfest, Drumline, and National Parade; Additional cosponsored events include Essay Contest, Candlelight Vigil and Awards Breakfast:
* 33rd Annual MLK HIGH SCHOOL ESSAY CONTEST FINALS - Thursday, January 16. 7 p.m. Students make their final oratorical presentations at the Enoch Davis Center, 1111 18th Ave. S. Free and open to the public. Cosponsored by the MLK Commemorative Celebration Committee Inc. and Alpha Phi Alpha of St. Petersburg. Contact: Lynette Buchanan, 727-893-7134.
* 29th Annual MLK DRUM MAJOR FOR JUSTICE AWARDS BANQUET - Friday, January 17. 7 p.m. St. Petersburg Marriott Clearwater, 12600 Roosevelt Blvd. N. Official opening of MLK week in Florida "Celebrating 50 Years of Civil Rights." Featuring full concert with Wintley Phipps, internationally-renowned soloist. Special guest Derek Smith, gospel recording artist. Tickets $45; available at Enoch Davis Center. Presented by MLK Holiday and Legacy Association, Inc. Contact: MLKholidaylegacy@gmail.com.
* 29th Annual MLK DRUM MAJOR FOR JUSTICE NATIONAL BATTLE OF THE BANDS AND DRUMLINE EXTRAVAGANZA - Sunday, January 19. Showtime 4 p.m. Tropicana Field, One Tropicana Drive S. Featuring college and high school marching bands. Tickets: Gen. Adm. $10/advance; $12/gate; Premier VIP Area $15. Purchase at Ticketmaster, 1-800-745-3000; Tropicana Field Box Office; Enoch Davis Center, 1111 18th Ave. S.; Norvell Quick Market, 2930 18th Ave. S.; Looking Good Men's Fashions in St. Pete, Tampa and Bradenton. More details: www.mlknationalparade.org
* MLK WEEK CANDLELIGHT VIGIL - Sunday, January 19. 5 to 7 p.m.
Carter G. Woodson African American Museum, 2240 Ninth Ave. S.
* 28th Annual MLK LEADERSHIP AWARDS BREAKFAST - Monday, January 20. 7:30 a.m. Coliseum, 535 Fourth Ave. N. Individual tickets, $25. Keynote speaker: Delatorro McNeal II. Contact: National Council of Negro Women St. Petersburg Metropolitan Section, 727-896-6556 or visit www.mlkbreakfast-stpete.com.
* 29th Annual MLK DRUM MAJOR FOR JUSTICE NATIONAL PARADE - Monday, January 20. 11 a.m. Parade begins at Third Ave. S. and Dr. Martin Luther King St., proceeds north to Central Ave., east to Bayshore Drive NE, and north to Fifth Ave. NE, disbanding at Vinoy Park. Pick up parade entry applications at Enoch Davis Center, Campbell Park or Wildwood Recreation Centers or online at www.mlknationalparade.org. Contact: 727-388-9494 or MLKholidaylegacy@gmail.com.
For more details about the MLK Holiday Legacy Association's Gulf of St. Petersburg Multi-Cultural Expotm banquet, bandfest or parade -- contact the Holiday Legacy office at 727-388-9494 (leave a message); e-mail to MLKholidaylegacy@gmail.com or visit www.mlknationalparade.org.
For parade day vendor inquiries, contact Thomas Huggins, 813-207-0003, or visit the MLK parade vendor Web site, www.spmlkparade.com.
- end - 14-005