The amnesty program is a gesture of goodwill intended to help motorists who may not be familiar with downtown parking regulations and make a mistake by allowing their meter to expire. The program is also intended to help downtown businesses by making sure that those who have their citations voided are customers of local businesses ($25 minimum purchase required, can be multiple receipts). This also ensures that the program does not apply to downtown employees who commute to work and should park in less convenient off-street parking rather than the most convenient on-street parking spaces that should be used by customers.
Because the program is intended for downtown patrons supporting local retail businesses, there are certain types of receipts that qualify and those that do not qualify for the program. Again, the program is intended to help motorists and downtown businesses.
Examples of acceptable business receipts:
- Any restaurant receipt or gift certificate purchase for a downtown restaurant
- Movie Receipt
- Rental Entertainment (i.e. Segway, bicycle or boat rental)
Examples of receipts not accepted:
- Visa/American Express Gift Cards (these are cash equivalents and could be spent later outside downtown).
- Concert or other event tickets (event parking is offered in garages and lots)
- Doctor's Visits (call the number on the citation if the parking was emergency room related)
- Bank Deposits/Business
- Government office visits
- Attorney or other consultant visits