Wednesday, May 22, 2013
7 p.m. to 9:30 p.m.
TASCO Teen Programs is pleased to present the third annual Youth Showcase of Achievement. Pinellas County students in middle and high school (public, private, or home school) will be recognized for achievement, excellence, and community contribution in ten categories.
Showcase of Achievement Categories
1) Academic Achievement - recognizes an individual who consistentlydemonstrated high academic achievement including grades,creativity, critical thinking, classroom participation, and other behaviorsthat contribute to excellence in scholarship.
2) Scholar Athlete - able to turn in proof of awards, honors, newspaper articles describing athletic ability, etc., as well as a minimum of 3.0 GPA and involvement in school-community activities. Athletics includes baseball, basketball, bowling, competitive cheer, cross country, football, golf, gymnastics, ice hockey, lacrosse, soccer, softball, swimming and diving, tennis, track and field, volleyball, wrestling, and more.
3) Citizenship or Leadership - recognizes an individual’s outstanding dedication and service to church, school, community,civic organizations, government, and its citizens. Leadership can be demonstrated through courage and tolerance, inspiring others through actions, words, support, or by example, acceptance, and understanding of differences, and by maintaining high standardsin difficult situations.
4) Fine Arts - able to turn in samples of ceramics, sculpture, glasswork, metal and jewelry design, painting, photography, or ink/pencil sketches. Samples should be limited to 8 items.
5) Literary Arts - able to turn in samples of short story, a novel, poetry, prose, screen and/or play writing. Samples should be limited to 8 items.
6) Performing Arts - able to turn in one video or audio piece (up to 5 min.) with any of the following: dramatic interpretation (theater, pantomime, spoken word), music (voice or instrument), dance (ballet, tap jazz, modern, etc.), modeling, martial arts, magic, etc.
7) Media Arts - able to turn in samples of video, film, graphic arts and design, digital art, computer graphics, computer animation, web design, video game design, and/or audio (soundtrack, radioscript). Samples should be limited to 8 items or a 5 minute video.
8) Science Technology - able to turn in sample work demonstrating knowledge in the field of computers (including programming), robotics, biology, chemistry, ecology, marine biology, oceanography,or physics. Samples should be limited to 8 items.
9) Vocational or Business Enterprise - includes any teen nominated for excellence in a vocational trade or business field. Teen may be attending a vocational school, enrolled in a vocational program, or taking vocational classes, such as carpentry, drafting, auto body, auto mechanics, nursing, cosmetology or have developed business capabilities / entrepreneurship.
10) Overcoming Adversity - recognizes an individual with a disability, illness, or other condition, who has overcome limitations and found ways to excel in the face of adversity.
Each nominee must submit:
- Youth Showcase of Achievement application form.
- Nomination narrative (200-1000 words, double spaced, typed, 12 point font).
- Pertinent copies of documentation/evidence including: videos, CD’s, DVD’s, photos, letters, report cards, awards, etc.
- Photo of applicant (2 in. x 2 in. passport size).
Application and Narrative will be worth 50% of your total score.
Documentation/Evidence will be worth 50% of your total score.
Documentation/Evidence must be:
- Specific to the nominee’s current school year beginning June 8, 2012 through May 3, 2013.
- specific to the category you are nominated in (maximum of four nominations).
Incomplete nominations will not be judged.
Completed nomination packet must be postmarked no later than May 3, 2013 at 5:00 p.m.
Please send copies only, no originals. Nominations, documentation and evidence will become the property of the City of St. Petersburg.
All nominees must be tobacco free.
The TASCO Center for Teen Technology is available through May 3, 2013 for technical assistance for your support documentation, including printing, photography, video duplication, etc. Please make arrangements in advance by calling (727) 892-5877.
A panel of judges will determine the top three finalists in each category. All nominations will be recognized at the Showcase of Achievement on May 22, 2013 from 7:00p.m. – 9:30 p.m. at The Mahaffey Theater.
Each nominee will receive two free tickets to attend.
Winners in each category (middle and high school) receive a $1,000 prize package including a savings account, iPad Mini and more (20 total).
Two runner-ups in each category receive a $400 prize package including a savings account and more (40 total).