What We Do
Parking Management ensures the most efficient use of on-street and off-street parking assets within the downtown area, thereby serving the highest number of residents and visitors with the most convenient parking spaces available. On-street management of spaces is conducted primarily through the use of time limits and parking meters to encourage vehicle turnover. Off-street parking garages and lots are maintained to support the downtown by giving commuters and longer-term visitors a safe, clean place to park for a reasonable fee. This team is responsible for parking management through the use of regulation and fees; parking facility operation and maintenance; special event transportation and parking distribution design, plan and management; propose ordinance changes to enhance parking systems; administer residential parking and central business district parking plans; investigate and improve safety and accessibility needs as identified through public contact, staff studies and committee involvement.
Parking Demand Study
The City has recently completed a draft parking demand study. The study focused on parking demand and supply in the area generally from 5th Ave N to 5th Ave S between Tampa Bay and Dr. Martin Luther King Jr St. The study area also includes the area between Dr. Martin Luther King Jr St and I-275 from one block north of 1st Avenue N to one block south of 1st Ave S, including the Edge District. The outcome of the study will be a plan to meet current and future parking demand in the focus area. The plan will recommend alternatives for solving identified parking issues, which could include parking regulation modifications, adding parking spaces in certain locations, as well as strategies for managing existing parking resources.
- Parking Demand Study to City Council Workshop - 1/28/2016
- Parking Study Recommendations
- Dec. 9 Public Workshop Presentation
Time Limited Parking
When parking in an area that has a 2 hour parking sign (or other time limit as posted on signs), please note that parking in this area is for the time posted hours only. You must travel through an intersection to start a new parking session.
Pay-by-Phone at Parking Meters
The city of St. Petersburg and Parkmobile USA, Inc. offer a service that will allow residents and visitors in downtown St. Petersburg to save time and money by using their mobile phone to pay for parking. To use the Parkmobile system, customers register for free at www.parkmobile.com . Once registered, motorists can use a mobile app, the internet, or a toll free phone call, 877-PARK-714 or 1-877-727-5714 to pay for parking ($0.35 per transaction or $1.75 per month and $0.25 per transaction for frequent users). Motorists can also select the option to receive text message alerts and reminders fifteen minutes before their time expires.
- There are many options available for parking downtown.
- St. Petersburg is host to more than 1,000 annual downtown events. Many of those events feature free shuttle service provided by the St. Petersburg Trolley between designated parking locations and event locations.
- Residents and visitors may also take advantage of the "Looper" shuttle service, which loops St. Petersburg's downtown, EDGE and Grand Central Districts on a regular daily schedule. A portion of the route is a Free Fare Zone, including Beach Drive to the Beach Drive Parking lot. Additionally, PSTA's Central Avenue Trolley serves Central Avenue from Pier parking lots in downtown St. Petersburg to Pass-A-Grille on St. Pete Beach. For routes, rates and times of operation, please click on www.stpetetrolley.com.