Understanding how much water we use and where it is used is the first step in beginning to conserve one of our most precious resources.
A simple household water check up will allow you to understand your consumption, both indoors and outdoors. After calculating your family's water use patterns, you can begin to conserve in ways that work best for your life style.
Indoor Water Use
- Showers. Total number of showers taken each day by members of your household, times the average number of minutes spent in the shower, times four gallons per minute equals water used for household showers each day.
Gallons used in the shower: ___showers/day X ___minutes X 4 gallons/minute = ____
- Baths. Total number of baths taken each day by members of the household, times 36 gallons equals daily water used for baths.
Gallons used in baths: ____baths/day X 36 gallons =_____
- Toilets. Total number of people in household, times four flushes, times gallons per flush equals daily water used in household toilet.
Gallons used for flushing: ___people X 4 flushes/day X 4 gallons/flush = ____
- Faucets. Total number of household members that use faucets to shave, brush teeth, and wash hands faucets, times average minutes used, times three gallons per minute equals total gallons used daily through faucets.
Gallons used daily from faucets: ___people X ____minutes X 3 gallons/minute = ____
- Laundry. Number of loads of laundry done each week, times 40 gallons of water per load equals gallons used per week. Divide the total by seven to determine daily consumption.
Gallons used daily for laundry: ___loads/week X 40 gallons/load ÷ 7 days/week = ____
- Dishwasher. Number of times dishwasher is used each week, times 14 gallons per load equals water used each week by the dishwasher. Divide amount by seven to determine daily consumption.
Gallons used daily by dishwasher: ___loads/week X 14 gallons/load ÷ 7 day/week= ___
- Hand Washing Dishes. Number of times dishes are washed by hand each day, times three gallons per minute, times average number of minutes water runs equals water used in daily dish washing.
Gallons used in daily dish washing: ___times/day X ___minutes X 3 gallons/min.= ___
Estimated Indoor Water Use.
Gallons used in showers ______
+ Gallons (baths) ______
+ Gallons (toilet flushing) ______
+ Gallons (faucets) ______
+ Gallons (laundry) ______
+ Gallons (dishwasher) ______
+ Gallons (hand washing) ______
Total = ___________ Gallons Used Daily Indoors
Outdoor Water Use
1. Lawn and Landscape Watering. Number of times each week lawn and landscape is watered, times the total number of minutes of watering, times three gallons per minute. Divide by seven to calculate daily water use. Gallons used watering weekly: ___times/week X __total minutes X 3 gallons/minute ÷ 7 days/week= ____
2. Other Outdoor Water Use. A lot of water is used outdoors to wash cars, fill the pool, rinse outdoor furniture, clean equipment, and to perform other household tasks. Calculate all water use outdoors at a rate of 10 gallons per minute. Gallons used outdoors: __uses X __minutes X 10 gallons/minute = ____
Estimated Outdoor Water Use:
Gallons used to water lawn and landscape daily ______
+ Gallons used outdoors for other activities daily _____
Total = _________ Gallons Used Daily Outdoors
_____Gallons/Day INDOORS + _____Gallons/Day OUTDOORS =
________ TOTAL DAILY USE FOR YOUR HOME
List the Top Three Water Uses In and Around Your Home: