MAYOR'S YOUTH SHOWCASE OF
ACHIEVEMENT AWARD PROGRAM
Thursday, May 26, 2016
7 p.m. to 9 p.m.
Showcase of Achievement Categories
TASCO Teen Programs is pleased to present the sixth annual Youth Showcase of Achievement. Pinellas County students in middle and high school (public, private, or home school) will be recognized for achievement, excellence, and community contribution in eight categories.
- ACADEMIC ACHIEVEMENT - This award recognizes an individual who consistently demonstrated high academic achievement including grades, creativity, critical thinking, classroom participation, and other behaviors that contribute to excellence in scholarship.
- SCHOLAR ATHLETE - This award goes to an athlete who also proves to be a scholar with awards, honors, newspaper articles describing athletic ability, etc., as well as a minimum of 3.0 GPA, and involvement in school-community activities. Athletics includes baseball, basketball, bowling, competitive cheer, cross country, football, golf, gymnastics, ice hockey, lacrosse, soccer, softball, swimming and diving, tennis, track and field, volleyball, wrestling, and more.
- CITIZENSHIP OR LEADERSHIP - This award goes to the nominee who has proven outstanding dedication and service to church, school, community, civic organizations, government, and citizens. Leadership can be demonstrated through courage and tolerance; inspiring others through actions, words, support, or example; acceptance and understanding of differences; and by maintaining high standards in difficult situations.
- VISUAL ARTS - This award recognizes skills in the visual arts field, both media and fine arts, including ceramics, sculpture, glass work, metal, jewelry design, painting, photography, ink/ pencil sketches, as well as video, film, graphic arts and design, computer graphics, computer animation, web design, video game design, or audio (soundtrack, radio script). Samples should be limited to eight items or a five minute video.
- LITERARY ARTS -Recognition for this award goes to the individual for writing a short story, novel, poetry, prose, screen and/or playwriting. Samples should be limited to eight items.
- PERFORMING ARTS - This award recognizes the individual who has submitted a sample of talents through a video or audio piece (up to five minutes) with any of the following: dramatic interpretation (theater, pantomime, spoken word), music (voice or instrument), dance (ballet, tap, jazz, modern, etc.), modeling, martial arts, magic, etc.
- SCIENCE & TECHNOLOGY - This recognition goes to the individual who demonstrates working knowledge of computers (software or hardware), robotics, biology, chemistry, ecology, marine biology, oceanography, or physics. Samples should be limited to eight items.
- OVERCOMING ADVERSITY - This award will recognize an individual with a disability, illness, or other condition, who has overcome limitations and found ways to excel in the face of adversity.
Each nominee must submit:
- The Youth Showcase of Achievement Nomination Sheet (attached to brochure).
- A letter (written by you or the nominator) telling us why you should receive this award (200 - 1,000 words, typed, double spaced).
- Documents or evidence showing proof of achievement or examples of your work. These can be on a flash drive, DVD, CD-R or actual documents, photos, awards, etc. Read each category for examples and limits on what you can send to us. Internet links including YouTube will not be accepted.
- A 2 inch by 2 inch photo of you.Ask a friend or family member to take a photo of you in front of a wall, head and shoulders only please. You can print it, include it on a flash drive, email it to TASCO@stpete.org (please include you name), or come by the TASCO office and we will take your photo and print it for you! Call us at 892-5060 to tell us you are coming please.
All nominees must be tobacco free.
Nomination and letter will be worth 50% of your score. Documentation/evidence will be worth 50% of your score.
Documentation/evidence must be specific to the current school year beginning May 13, 2015 through April 29, 2016. If you are entering more than one category, only include evidence for that category. Incomplete nominations will not be judged.
Completed nomination packet must be postmarked by April 29, 2016 at 5:00 p.m. or delivered to us in person. Please send copies, not originals. Nominations, documentation, and evidence will become the property of the City of St. Petersburg.
The TASCO Center for Teen Technology is available through April 29, 2016 for technical assistance with support documentation, printing, video duplication, etc. Please make arrangements in advance by calling (727) 892-5877.
A panel of judges will determine the top three finalists in each category. All nominations will be recognized at the Showcase of Achievement on May 26, 2016.
Each nominee will receive two tickets to attend.
Winners receive a prize package including a $300 savings account and iPad mini (20 total). Two runners-up in each category receive a prize package including a $100 savings account and more (40 total).