Mayor's Youth Showcase of Achievement Award Program
Thursday, May 17, 2018, 7 p.m. to 9 p.m.
Join Mayor Kriseman, TASCO Teen Programs, and floridacentral Credit Union for an evening of teen entertainment and achievement at the Mahaffey Theater!
TASCO Teen Programs is searching for the best of the best in eight categories: Scholar Athlete, Overcoming Adversity, Performing Arts, Academic Achievement, Citizenship or Leadership, Visual Arts, Literary Arts and Science & Technology. The Mayor’s Youth Showcase of Achievement event highlights Pinellas County’s most talented students at the Mahaffey Theater with performances, accolades, visuals, and awards on Thursday, May 17. All applicants are invited to attend.
Winners will be announced at the May 17 show, where 16 students will be awarded a prize package including a floridacentral Credit Union savings account and an iPad mini. Two runners-up in each category (32 teens) will receive a prize package, including a floridacentral Credit Union savings account and more. Cash and prizes awarded total $25,000!
This event is free and open to the public. Tickets are available from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. at the TASCO office, 1320 Fifth St. N. For inquiries, call TASCO at 727-892-5060.
Showcase of Achievement Categories
TASCO Teen Programs is pleased to present the sixth annual Youth Showcase of Achievement. Pinellas County students in middle and high school (public, private, or home school) will be recognized for achievement, excellence, and community contribution in eight categories.
- ACADEMIC ACHIEVEMENT - This award recognizes an individual who consistently demonstrated high academic achievement including grades, creativity, critical thinking, classroom participation, and other behaviors that contribute to excellence in scholarship.
- SCHOLAR-ATHLETE - This award goes to an athlete who also proves to be a scholar with awards, honors, newspaper articles describing athletic ability, etc., as well as a minimum of 3.0 GPA, and involvement in school-community activities. Athletics includes baseball, basketball, bowling, competitive cheer, cross country, football, golf, gymnastics, ice hockey, lacrosse, soccer, softball, swimming and diving, tennis, track and field, volleyball, wrestling, and more.
- CITIZENSHIP OR LEADERSHIP - This award goes to the nominee who has proven outstanding dedication and service to church, school, community, civic organizations, government, and citizens. Leadership can be demonstrated through courage and tolerance; inspiring others through actions, words, support, or example; acceptance and understanding of differences; and by maintaining high standards in difficult situations.
- VISUAL ARTS - This award recognizes skills in the visual arts field, both media and fine arts, including ceramics, sculpture, glasswork, metal, jewelry design, painting, photography, ink/ pencil sketches, as well as video, film, graphic arts and design, computer graphics, computer animation, web design, video game design, or audio (soundtrack, radio script). Samples should be limited to eight items or a five-minute video.
- LITERARY ARTS -Recognition for this award goes to the individual for writing a short story, novel, poetry, prose, screen and/or playwriting. Samples should be limited to eight items.
- PERFORMING ARTS - This award recognizes the individual who has submitted a sample of talents through a video or audio piece (up to five minutes) with any of the following: dramatic interpretation (theater, pantomime, spoken word), music (voice or instrument), dance (ballet, tap, jazz, modern, etc.), modeling, martial arts, magic, etc.
- SCIENCE & TECHNOLOGY - This recognition goes to the individual who demonstrates a working knowledge of computers (software or hardware), robotics, biology, chemistry, ecology, marine biology, oceanography, or physics. Samples should be limited to eight items.
- OVERCOMING ADVERSITY - This award will recognize an individual with a disability, illness, or other condition, who has overcome limitations and found ways to excel in the face of adversity.
It’s really simple to apply! There are only four (4) things to submit:
- The Youth Showcase of Achievement Nomination Sheet (attached to brochure).
- A letter (written by you or the nominator) telling us why you should receive this award (200 - 1,000 words, typed, double-spaced).
- Documents or evidence showing proof of achievement or examples of your work. These can be on a flash drive, DVD, CD-R or actual documents, photos, awards, etc. Read each category for examples and limits on what you can send to us. Internet links including YouTube will not be accepted.
- A 2-inch by 2-inch photo of you. Ask a friend or family member to take a photo of you in front of a wall, head, and shoulders only. You can print it, include it on a flash drive, email it to TASCO@stpete.org (please include your name), or come by the TASCO office, and we will take your photo and print it for you! Call us at 892-5060 to schedule a photo appointment.
Here’s the fine print. Call us if you have any questions.
- All nominees must be tobacco free.
- Nomination and letter will be worth 50% of your score.
- Documentation/evidence will be worth 50% of your score.
- Documentation/evidence must be specific to the current school year beginning May 18, 2017, through April 20, 2018. If you are entering more than one category, only include evidence for that category. Incomplete nominations will not be judged.
- Completed nomination packet must be postmarked by April 20, 2018, at 5 p.m. or delivered to us in person. Please send copies, not originals. Nominations, documentation, and evidence will become the property of the city of St. Petersburg.
- The TASCO Center for Teen Technology is available through April 20, 2018, for technical assistance with support documentation, printing, video duplication, etc. Please make arrangements in advance by calling 727-892-5877.
- A panel of judges will determine the top three finalists in each category. All nominations will be recognized at the Showcase of Achievement on May 17, 2018.
- Each nominee will receive two tickets to attend.