MAYOR'S YOUTH SHOWCASE OF
ACHIEVEMENT AWARD PROGRAM
Wednesday, May 13, 2015
7 p.m. to 9 p.m.
TASCO Teen Programs is pleased to present the fifth annual Youth Showcase of Achievement. Pinellas County students in middle and high school (public, private, or home school) will be recognized for achievement, excellence, and community contribution in eight categories.
Showcase of Achievement Categories
1) ACADEMIC ACHIEVEMENT - This award recognizes an individual who consistently demonstrated high academic achievement including grades, creativity, critical thinking, classroom participation, and other behaviors that contribute to excellence in scholarship.
2) SCHOLAR ATHLETE - This award goes to an athlete who also proves to be a scholar with awards, honors, newspaper articles describing athletic ability, etc., as well as a minimum of 3.0 GPA,and involvement in school-community activities. Athletics includes baseball, basketball, bowling, competitive cheer, cross country,football, golf, gymnastics, ice hockey, lacrosse, soccer, softball,swimming and diving, tennis, track and field, volleyball, wrestling,and more.
3) CITIZENSHIP OR LEADERSHIP - This award goes to the nominee who has proven outstanding dedication and service to church, school, community, civic organizations, government,and citizens. Leadership can be demonstrated through courage and tolerance; inspiring others through actions, words,support, or example; acceptance and understanding of differences;and by maintaining high standards in difficult situations.
4) VISUAL ARTS - This award recognizes skills in the visual arts field, both media and fine arts, including ceramics, sculpture, glass work, metal, jewelry design, painting, photography, ink/pencil sketches, as well as video, film, graphic arts and design,computer graphics, computer animation, web design, video game design, or audio (soundtrack, radio script). Samples should be limited to eight items or a five minute video.
5) LITERARY ARTS - Recognition for this award goes to the individual for writing a short story, novel, poetry, prose, screen and/or play writing. Samples should be limited to eight items.
6) PERFORMING ARTS - This award recognizes the individual who has submitted a sample of talents through a video or audio piece (up to five minutes) with any of the following: dramatic interpretation (theater, pantomime, spoken word), music (voice or instrument), dance (ballet, tap, jazz, modern, etc.), modeling,martial arts, magic, etc.
7) SCIENCE & TECHNOLOGY - This recognition goes to the individual who demonstrates a working knowledge of computers(software or hardware), robotics, biology, chemistry, ecology, marine biology, oceanography, or physics. Samples should be limited to eight items.
8) OVERCOMING ADVERSITY - This award will recognize an individual with a disability, illness, or other condition, who has overcome limitations and found ways to excel in the face of adversity.
APPLICATION PERIOD CLOSED
Each nominee must submit:
- Youth Showcase of Achievement application form.
- Nomination narrative (200-1000 words, double spaced, typed, 12 point font).
- Pertinent copies of documentation/evidence including: videos, CD’s, DVD’s, photos, letters, report cards, awards, etc.
- Photo of applicant (2 in. x 2 in. passport size).
Application and Narrative will be worth 50% of your total score.
Documentation/Evidence will be worth 50% of your total score.
Documentation/Evidence must be:
- Specific to the nominee’s current school year beginning June 6, 2014 through April 24, 2015.
- specific to the category you are nominated in (maximum of four nominations).
Incomplete nominations will not be judged.
Completed nomination packet must be postmarked no later than April 24, 2015 at 5:00 p.m.
Please send copies only, no originals. Nominations, documentation and evidence will become the property of the City of St. Petersburg.
All nominees must be tobacco free.
The TASCO Center for Teen Technology is available through April 24, 2015 for technical assistance with your support documentation, including printing, photography,video duplication, etc. Please make arrangements in advance by calling (727) 892-5877.
A panel of judges will determine the top three finalists in each category. All nominations will be recognized at the Showcase of Achievement on May 13, 2015 from 7:00 p.m. – 9:00 p.m. at The Mahaffey Theater.
Each nominee will receive two free tickets to attend.
Winners in each category (middle & high school) receive a prize package including a $300 savings account and iPad mini (20 total). Two runners-up in each category receive a prize package including a $100 savings account and more (40 total).