The Warehouse Arts District brings together a widely diverse group of artists, entrepreneurs, manufacturers and other creative minds to develop, promote and enhance critical components of this special part of St. Petersburg, Where Art is Made. The District is generally bounded by the industrially zoned property along the Pinellas Trail between I-275 and 31st Street South, much of which was populated with warehouses and small manufacturing companies. For decades, the Seaboard Railroad Station (now the Morean Center for Clay) was an important link between those businesses and their clients. However, in recent times many of the buildings sat empty and the area began decaying and falling into decline. Artists, always seeking studio space, saw potential in the area due to the large warehouses and proximity to other districts and areas in the city. Now, more than 200 artists and studios have found a home in the Warehouse Arts District.
Warehouse Arts District and Deuces Live Joint Action Plan
The City of St. Petersburg, along with the Deuces Live Main Street, the Warehouse Arts District Association, and local businesses & residents, developed an Action Plan for enhancements to the 22nd Street Deuces Live Corridor and the Warehouse Arts District. A segment of the historic 22nd Street South corridor is a certified Florida Main Street striving to revitalize the area, while preserving its cultural heritage.
This plan identifies improvements that are specific to the unique area while working to create a more unified, consistent infrastructure for the overall region:
- Basic Infrastructure (sidewalks, street trees, lighting, etc.)
- Progressive Steps (streetscapes, road diets, bike lanes, etc.)
- Transformational Projects (signature parks and streets)
The plan also identifies opportunities for collaboration between private property and public realm to create shared solutions that encourage a more unified sense of place and urban function.
- Warehouse Arts District Deuces Live Action Plan
- Warehouse Arts District Deuces Live Issues and Opportunities Report
Current Projects & Events
- The ArtsXchange – Development is underway of 50,000 square feet of studio and gallery space spanning an enclave of six warehouse properties on 22nd Ave. S.
- Second Saturday Art Walk – this popular monthly “open house” event at St. Petersburg galleries has now expanded to the Warehouse Arts District with connecting trolley service on the second Saturday evening of each month.
- Art on the Trail – The Pinellas Trail, an off-road cycling and pedestrian trail that runs along the north/south length of Pinellas County passes through the Warehouse Arts District. The local association is working with city and county to install art on the trail throughout the district.