Quick Fix for Minor Flooding
When an official warning is declared, the City makes sand, shovels and bags available to city residents. While sandbags may offer a temporary solution to minor flooding, emergency experts recommend commercially available impervious bags of landscape material (such as potting soil) or expandable foam.
Sandbags are available to city residents throughout the year at the following city location:
- Pavement and Traffic Operations Building, 1744 9th Ave. N.
Unless direction and/or tidal conditions dictate an earlier time frame, sandbags will be issued following the declaration of a tropical storm or hurricane warning at these city locations:
- Northeast Park, 875 62nd Avenue NE . (located at the Cardinal Drive entrance to Mangrove Bay Golf Course)
- Lake Maggiore, 3601 Dr. MLK Jr. St. S., sandbags will be distributed in the parking lot of the fields
- Northwest Pool, 2331 60th Street N ., sandbags will be distributed in the pool parking lot
- Azalea Park, 1600 72nd St. N, sandbags available for self-service
- Lake Vista Park, 1401 62nd Ave S, Tennis Court Parking Lot, sandbags available for self-service
Sandbags are limited to 10 bags per household, and staff will be on hand to assist seniors and others who may be unable to fill and load their own sandbags. Residents must provide proof of residence (such as a driver's license) to receive sandbags.
Check the City’s Twitter (@stpetefl) and Facebook (/stpetefl) accounts for real-time sandbag location information.