Irrigation-Only Water Service
St. Petersburg utility customers may request to have a separate potable water connection installed for irrigation purposes only. Customers requesting this service need to submit an application for service and must meet specific criteria to be eligible. Approved applicants will pay a one-time connection charge, and a monthly base charge that will adhere to a tiered volume charge according to meter size. The tiered rates are based on the conservation rate structure for domestic potable water use at the highest three tiers. No sewer charges will be assessed under an irrigation-only account.
New or Existing Connections
- Customers requesting an irrigation-only water service connection must submit an Application and Agreement for Irrigation-Only Water Service for approval.
- Irrigation-only accounts shall only be connected to an in-ground irrigation system with no other water connections such as above-ground faucets, hose bibs, or other appurtenances.
- No chemical feed systems shall be permitted on irrigation-only water service.
- An approved irrigation system shall be in place prior to final connection to the City's water supply. Any modifications to an approved irrigation system must be approved in advance by the Water Resources Department Director or designee. Prior to connecting an irrigation-only water service account, the property shall be inspected to ensure compliance with these Policies and Procedures and the St. Petersburg City Code.
- The property will be inspected at least annually to ensure compliance with these Policies and Procedures and applicable provisions of the St. Petersburg City Code.
- Pursuant to Section 27-80 of the St. Petersburg City Code, the City shall have at all times free access to the property served by the irrigation-only water system.
Failure to Comply
- Any failure to comply with these Policies and Procedures or with the St. Petersburg City Code may result in discontinuation of irrigation-only water service.
- If a service is disconnected for failure to comply with these Policies and Procedures or with the St. Petersburg City Code, the customer shall pay the connection fee associated with irrigation-only water service if such service is reconnected.
- A customer requesting an irrigation-only water service connection shall submit an Application for Irrigation-Only Water to the Department. Completed applications can be mailed to the Water Resources Department at 1650 3rd Ave. N.
- Once an Application is received and the applicable connection charges are paid, the Department shall contact the customer to schedule an inspection of the in-ground irrigation system and property to ensure that all criteria are met for irrigation-only water service connections. Upon satisfactory inspection, the Department shall make a new connection or any necessary modifications to an existing connection and the City shall designate the service connection as an irrigation-only water service account. The City may take a minimum of two billing cycles for this service to be activated and for irrigation-only charges to be used in calculating a customer's bill. No retroactive refunds shall be given to customers for existing irrigation water service accounts.
- If after an inspection of the premises is made, the customer does not meet the criteria in these Policies and Procedures or the St. Petersburg City Code, the customer shall be notified by the Department of the deficiencies in their irrigation system connection. Within 90 days of such notification, the customer shall correct all deficiencies and contact the Department to schedule a new inspection. After deficiencies are addressed and upon satisfactory inspection of the property, the City shall designate this account as an irrigation-only water service account. If the customer elects not to establish an irrigation-only water service account or fails to correct the deficiencies and contact the Department within ninety (90) days, the connection charges paid by the customer for the irrigation-only water service account may be refunded.
Water with Care
For more information on City codes and ordinances associated with irrigation-only water, go to Municode and search for irrigation-only. For more guidance on proper watering practices, visit the pages listed below.