Rodents and insects want to live where you live and they are always attracted by garbage, trash and debris. Pest infestations are not only a nuisance, but also destroy property and may pose threats to you and your family’s health and safety. City codes require the owner or occupant of buildings to eliminate existing rodent or insect infestations and to provide continuous maintenance to ensure a pest-free environment.
Rodent Control Program
The City of St. Petersburg Sanitation Department can assist you in controlling rats on the outside of your property and in your neighborhood. The City will send out a Rodent Control Technician to inspect your property, place a tamper-resistant bait station in a rodent-attracting location outdoors and advise on how to help rat prevention.
To schedule an appointment for inspection, call the City's Rodent Line at 727-893-7398.
For rodent control inside your home, contact a private exterminator.
Tips for Rodent and Insect Control
- Keep your yard clean and free of tall weeds, abandoned cars and trash.
- Seal holes and cracks in doors, window frames and walls. Do not do this until after you exterminate all rodents inside.
- Remove fallen fruit from your yard.
- Store firewood on open racks at least 18" above the ground and away from the sides of your house.
- Keep living areas free of garbage and open food.
- Properly dispose of all garbage, trash, debris, needless clutter, old furniture, newspapers, boxes, etc.
- Put garbage in closed containers and roll the Sanitation collection container to the curb for pick-up only on the morning of the scheduled collection day.
- Remove all open receptacles and containers capable of holding water to prevent mosquitoes. You may contact Mosquito Control at 727-464-7503 for additional assistance.