As part of its commitment to providing quality service, the Sanitation department provides residential customers with a variety of services to dispose of garbage and/or recyclable materials. Charges for all services below appear on a customer’s monthly utility bill.
The city has adopted new billing procedures that affect the appearance of your utility statement, specifically the Garbage Disposal and Residential Recycling fees. Both fees have been combined so customers will see one line item, instead of two. The billing change is designed to increase efficiency. Learn about the new procedures in Important Changes to Your Utility Bill.
Monthly Residential Rates
Single-family customers receive one 90-gallon container; additional containers are available upon request for an extra per-container charge. Multi-family residences receive one container per unit.
Some customers may be eligible for once-weekly trash collection if they meet the following criteria:
- Single-family residence with a one-or two-person occupancy
- A lot size of 8,500 square feet or less
- Water usage of 5,000 gallons or less per month. If water consumption is greater, the twice-weekly collection rate will apply.
Customers may submit the fillable Application for Once-Weekly Sanitation Services form. Customers may print the form to mail or drop off at the locations listed on the form.
Service is provided to all single-family or multi-unit residences up to four units.
Customers receive one 95-gallon blue recycling container that is set at the curb or in the alley, depending on where your garbage is collected, once every two weeks on a designated day. Customers may use the colored sticker on their recycling container or sign up for the St. Pete Collects mobile app to determine their designated recycling day.
Single-Family Residence, Business, or Institution
Backyard Service is a fee-based service where the solid waste container is removed from behind the property by Sanitation employees, dumped, and returned to the back of the property. The recycling container is serviced in the same way at no additional cost to those residents who pay for solid waste backyard service.
To accommodate persons with disabilities who cannot maneuver containers, the City offers a "Tub-Out Service" at no additional charge. A person must submit this fillable form along with a doctor's certificate to be eligible for this service.
Customers who plan to be away for at least two months may have regular collection temporarily halted with standby service. While on this service plan, sanitation charges are reduced during the months where no water is registered on the water meter. There is a small fee for activating standby status.
For information on any of the listed services, contact the Sanitation Department:
- Billing Questions 893-7398
- Residential Collection - 893-7334 (including missed collection)
- Residential Recycling – 893-7838 (including missed collection and container repair);
- Furniture/Appliance Pick Up/Special Collections; Recycling Drop-Off; Free Rodent Control; Free Mulch or Soil Builder; Building Materials, Brush and Other Collections (fee-based) - 893-7398
- Commercial Collection – 893-7351
- Report Graffiti - 893-7394
- Neighborhood Cleanup - 893-5141
- Report Illegal Dumping (24 hour Police Tip Line) - 892-5000