St. Petersburg is a cultural hub of central Florida. With a half dozen museums - some world famous - scores of galleries and an active performing arts community, St. Petersburg offers residents and visitors a wide variety of cultural activities. Take a stroll and encounter breathtaking public art that dots the landscape of St. Pete - or take in a tour of many private galleries that proudly call St. Petersburg home.
Kudos to the Arts Community
- St. Petersburg has been ranked as America's No. 1 Arts Destination for mid-sized cities, ahead of such arts hubs such as Charleston, Pittsburgh, Atlanta and more, by AmericanStyle Magazine since 2010.
- St. Petersburg was selected as one of America's top arts places by ArtPlace America, a collaboration of arts foundations and the nation's largest banks.
- In part due to its vibrant arts community, St. Petersburg was listed by the New York Times as one of 52 Places in the World to Visit (2014), one of America's 10 Most Beautiful Cities and one of the most underrated visitor destinations in the United States.
- St. Petersburg is home to the Dali Museum, the most comprehensive collection of Salvador Dali's works in the world.
- Opening its doors to the public in 1965, the Museum of Fine Arts is dedicated to serving all people by pursuing excellence in art from antiquity to the present through collection, exhibitions, and education for its diverse audiences. The Museum is currently celebrating 50 years of providing fine art experiences in St. Petersburg.
- Renowned glass artist Dale Chihuly selected St. Petersburg's Morean Arts Center to house the first permanent collection of his masterpieces int the world. The Chihuly Collection anchors an impressive glass community, including artist Duncan McClennan and the Morean Art's Center Glass Studio and Hot Shop, where visitors can experience glass blowing demonstrations daily.
- The Florida Orchestra makes its home here at the Mahaffey Theater.
- The Morean Center for Clay is the largest working pottery center in the southeast.
- The city is home to five robust arts district, including the burgeoning Warehouse Arts District, "where art is made."
- The Museum of American Arts and Crafts Movement is now under construction. This $40 million project will house the largest collection of arts and crafts artifacts in the United States.