The City of St. Petersburg is a City of opportunity where the sun shines on all who come to live, work and play. Our employees have the important and rewarding role of serving the City of St. Petersburg and its citizens, helping to make our City a premier destination to live or visit. We offer job opportunities in a wide variety of fields and with competitive benefits and a pension plan, we are an excellent place to find a career. We invite you to search and apply for our vacant jobs.
The Police Department is currently seeking Police Cadet and Police Officer applicants. Click for more information or apply on our jobs page.
Firefighter applicants use a separate application process. Use the following link for Firefighter jobs: Fire Department Vacancies and Selection Standards
The Police Department is currently seeking civilian Complaint Writers (911 Operator/Dispatch). Click for more information or apply on our jobs page.
Current Vacancy List and Recently Filled Positions
**Please be advised that the iRecruitment system will be unavailable from Saturday at 12:00 AM until Saturday at 12:00 PM for scheduled maintenance and updates.
To Apply for a Position
- Register or Login.
- Enter and save application information in My Account.
- Go to the jobs list and click on Apply Now.
- Read More Detailed Instructions for help
Forgot Your Password? Request a new password by clicking "Did You Forget Your Password?" in the Login window, but do not click more than once. If you do not receive a response via email within 24 hours, send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
The City of St. Petersburg is committed to affirmative action, is an equal opportunity employer, and encourages individuals with disabilities and United States military veterans to apply for posted positions. In accordance with Chapter 295 of the Florida Statutes, qualified service members/veterans and the spouses/family members of certain service members/veterans receive preference/priority in selection processes. Eligible applicants are responsible to apply for Veterans’ Preference at the time of submission of any job application.
City Employee Benefits
The City provides its employees with an array of various policy benefits besides group insurance and retirement benefits. Below is a partial listing of some of the other benefits the City provides to its employees.
Pursuant to Chapter 295 of the Florida Statutes, qualified service members and veterans and the spouses and family members of certain service members and veterans are eligible for preference and priority in selection processes. Individuals, including returning applicants, are encouraged to review Chapter 295 of the Florida Statutes and Chapter 55A-7 of the Florida Administrative Code for more information.
In order to be eligible for Veterans’ Preference, the FDVA Form VP-1, Veterans’ Preference Certification Form, must be completed and uploaded to your account by the closing date and time of the job posting along with the veteran's DD-214 (Member 4 copy), DVA certification of the veteran’s compensable service-connected disability, and other documents, if applicable. If you are unable to upload all documentation to your account, then the documentation must be received by the City's Employment Office no later than 4:00 p.m. on the closing date of the job posting.
Documentation may also be emailed to email@example.com or may be sent via Fax to 727-893-4128. Preference will not be awarded retroactively.
If the vacant position(s) for which you applied and for which you claimed Veterans' Preference is (are) filled by a non-preference applicant and/or you feel that proper consideration of the Veterans' Preference law has not been provided to you, you have the right to initiate an investigation by the Florida Department of Veterans' Affairs. You may do so by filing a complaint with the Florida Department of Veterans' Affairs (FDVA), Division of Benefits Assistance - Veterans' Preference, P.O. Box 31001, St. Petersburg, FL 33731 within 60 days after receiving notice the vacant position(s) has (have) been filled.
Learn more about Veterans' Preference requirements and your eligibility at http://floridavets.org/benefits-services/employment/
What happens after you submit a job application?
- The hiring department will review applications for qualifying skills, education and experience.
- You will be contacted directly by the hiring department if your application is selected for a skills assessment and/or interview.
- To qualify for any full time position, successful completion of one or more of the following will be required: Criminal Background Investigation, Medical Screen, Drug Screen, Credit Check, and Department of Motor Vehicles Drivers License Background Check.
- To qualify for certain part time positions, successful completion of one or more of the following may be required: Criminal Background Investigation, Medical Screen, Drug Screen, Credit Check, and Department of Motor Vehicles Drivers License Background Check.
- To review the status of a vacancy, the pre-recorded JOBLINE at 727-893-7033 is available 24 hours a day. Call this line to listen to a recorded list of recently filled positions, and also newly listed vacancies.
- If your application is not selected by the hiring department for an interview, you may not receive any further notice. If you are selected for a skills assessment or interview, the hiring department will contact you with results. If you have participated in a skills assessment or interview and have not received any results, please contact the hiring department for an update.
A. Getting Started
Use a computer terminal with internet access and Microsoft Internet Explorer 6 or higher version.
- Go to the iRecruitment page.
- If at any time, certificate warnings "pop up" click Yes or OK to continue.
- Already registered?
Use your login ID (your email address) and your password to login. Select My Account; then select one of the tabs: Personal Information, Qualifications and Skills, Preferences, or Login Information to update your information; or select the Jobs tab at the upper left side of your Home screen to apply for current vacancies. Click on "St. Petersburg, Florida", then click on "Go".
- Not registered yet?
To set up an account, click the Register Today button in the iRecruitment Login window. You must have a valid email address to begin the registration process.
- Current City Employee?
You do not need to register an account, one is already available for you. You may access your account through the City's internal network - login to the Oracle application at a City office computer terminal, then select the iRecruitment Employee Candidate responsibility. You may also access the system from outside of the City's internal network by using any computer that has access to the Internet (at home, city libraries, etc.).
Go to the iRecruitment page, then click on the link "Are You a Current Employee? Login Here". Use your Oracle Usename and Password to sign in at this point. If you do not have an assigned City Outlook email address, use a valid personal email address.
B. Step by Step Registration Process
- Your Details
This is where you create your Username (your email address) and password. Enter a valid email address and a correctly spelled Last Name and First Name. Create and confirm a password that is at least 10 characters long and is case sensitive. Passwords must not contain the Usename, must not contain repeating characters and must not contain consecutive characters (e.g. yellow, spooky, 2011). Click Submit. Remember your Usename and Password for future access. After three failed attempts to enter a password, the system will disable your user account to prevent unauthorized access.
- Create Account
On this next screen, follow the prompts to attach a resume in electronic form. If you do not have a MS Word document, a PDF, or other electronic document ready, it can be added later. Click Continue.
- Register: Personal Information
On this screen, enter your correctly spelled Last Name, First Name, Email Address, Maiden (or other legal name used), and provide other personal information. Note that the Magnifying Glass icon indicates limited answers are available for some fields. Click on the Magnifying Glass icon to view response choices for a field. In some fields, a "down arrow" is provided. Click on this arrow to select the correct response. Next, scroll to the Documents section.
This is another chance to attach electronic documents to your account. These documents may be viewed by hiring managers. Some documents, such as a Veterans' Preference form, may be required. (You have another opportunity to add other documents whenever you select a job and apply for the job using your online account.) To continue the process, click Next.
- Work History, Education Qualifications,
Additional Qualifications, Skills
On this screen, follow the prompts to enter more information. When done, click Next. Hint: Entering your information on this screen may take some time and can result in a software "time out" and loss of data. Take five minutes or less to enter data and then proceed to the next screen, even if you are not finished. Once you complete your new account process, return to the Home screen and you can finish entering your information. Select My Account; then select one of the tabs: Personal Information, Qualifications and Skills, Preferences, or Login Information to enter more information.
- Enter Preferences
On this screen, click Receive General Emails to receive automated email notice of new job listings. This is also the place to unsubscribe to these automated email notices.
C. Apply For a Job
(now that you have registered online)
- Once the registration process is complete, anytime you login to your account, you can view current vacancies and apply for jobs. Login and select the Jobs tab at the upper left side of your Home screen. Click to highlight St Petersburg, FL, US, then click Go or Search.
- On the Available Jobs screen, view job details by clicking on the "IRC" number, for example click on IRC16240.
- Apply for a job by clicking on the Apply Now icon next to the job of interest. You may update personal information, work history, etc. anytime you apply for a job.
- If you have any difficulties, do not Withdraw your application unless you do not want to apply for the job. Instead, complete the submission process, then logoff and contact the human resources for assistance. The system will not allow a Withdrawn application to be resubmitted or Reconsidered.
- You may also update personal information, work history, etc, anytime by selecting My Account from the Home screen.
D. Tips and Hints
- Double check
Check the email address you used to register to make sure it is correct before logout. You must be able to replicate this email address each time you login. If you enter it wrong the first time, you will not be able to get back into your account and will not receive automated email notices.
- Make a note of the email address and password you used to register. It can be very frustrating to spend time setting up detailed personal information, and then be unable to access it in the future. If you forget a password, it can be reset, but if your email address is invalid, the reset password cannot be emailed to you.
Reset your password by clicking Did you forget your password? in the Login window.
- Time Out
A security feature in the iRecruitment software will "time out" your session periodically. To prevent loss of data entered, your information must be submitted or saved quickly before a "time out" occurs. When registering for the first time, to avoid "time out" errors, skip the Work History, Skills, Education, etc. Once you complete your new account process, return to the Home screen and you can add more information. Select My Account to add more information.
- Error Message
If you make a field entry in your online information and the entry does not comply with the pre-set format for that field, the page will not update, or may not allow you to continue to the next page. As a result, the page will become "stale" and an error message will appear indicating the page must be "Refreshed". Once you refresh the page, you may want to look for a Magnifying Glass icon next to the field for guidance as to the field format. See Magnifying Glass icon below for more information.
- Details Are Important
The information that you provide online can be viewed by a hiring manager almost immediately. The more information a hiring manager can see regarding your personal details, qualifications, education, skills, and work history, the easier it will be for the manager to make a good decision about whether to interview you for a job. Remember, the hiring manager can see many other applicants and will most likely call the applicants who provide the most detailed information.
- Appearance Makes a Difference
Data fields in the online registration and application process are case sensitive, so remember to enter names and addresses as you would like them to appear on a resume or job application. For example, enter "Smith" instead of "smith".
- The Magnifying Glass Icon
The Magnifying Glass icon indicates limited responses are available for a field. Click on a Magnifying Glass to view response choices for a field. You may also enter the first letter of a word such as "y" for yes or "n" for no. Use the tab key to exit the field and, if Yes or No is an available response choice, the Magnifying Glass option will select "Yes" or "No" in the proper format.
- Down Arrows
Down arrows appear in some fields and must be clicked in order to view and select from a limited list of responses.
- Veterans' Preference forms are available at the link above. Review the information to determine whether you qualify so that you can prepare the form before you begin a registration or application process.
- Saved Documents
Before beginning the online process, identify where you have saved your electronic resume, cover letter, completed Veteran's Preference form, and/or other electronic information so that you will be ready to attach them to your application during the online application process.