E-Mail Council Member Nurse
Terms of Office:
Appointed to Council vacancy in April 2008; elected in 2009; re-elected in 2013; term expires January 2, 2018.
- Budget, Finance and Taxation Committee, Vice Chair
- Community Development Block Grant Committee
- Consolidated Plan Ad Hoc Application Review Committee
- Energy, Natural Resources & Sustainability Committee, Vice Chair
- Florida League of Cities – Urban Administration Committee
- Housing Services Committee, Chair
- International Relations Committee
- Legislative Affairs and Intergovernmental Relations
- National League of Cities – Energy, Environment & Natural Resources Advocacy Committee (ADD)
- National League of Cities – Youth, Education and Family Council
- Tampa Bay Water Board, Vice Chair
- Youth Services Committee
President of Bay Tech Label, 41-employee specialty printer, since 1986. Vice president, Horizon Packaging, 1980 to 1986. Legislative aide, Florida State Senate, 1976 to 1980. Legislative aide, Florida State House, 1974 to 1976.
Formerly vice chair of PSTA (2008), board member since 2003. Founder and president of Pinellas Living Green, Inc. 2006 to 2008. Board member, Suncoast Sierra Club 2006 to 2008. Former chair, St. Petersburg Planning Commission/Historic Preservation Commission (2000) and member, 1993 to 2002. Former president, Council of Neighborhood Associations (2003 to 2006) and vice president in 2002. Former member, St. Petersburg Housing Roundtable. Former vice chair, St. Petersburg Neighborhood Housing Services. Member, Homeless Coalition 2006 to 2008 (representing CONA or PSTA). Former member of Albert Whitted Airport Blue Ribbon Advisory Task Force. Vision 20/20 Traditional Neighborhoods Committee and Code Enforcement Task Force. Former member of St. Petersburg Area Chamber of Commerce Leadership St. Pete Class of 1991, Chamber Community Alliance (1991 to 1993) and Chamber government and housing committees.
Education & Awards:
B.A. in political science from University of South Florida. CONA Citizen of the Year, 2007. St. Petersburg Preservation Award, 2004. Sierra Club Award for Pinellas Living Green Expo, 2007, NAACP President Award 2010. Outstanding Community LEEDER 2010 - U.S. Green Building Council - Tampa Bay. Creative Loafing Best of the Bay – Greatest Politician 2009. Creative Loafing – Best Politician 2013
Clearwater High School graduate, Class of 1972. Pinellas County resident since 1959; St. Petersburg resident since 1977; and District 6 resident since 1991. He and his wife Jody have four children, Julie, Laura, Ryan and Karlie.
District 6 Precincts: