The Solar and Energy Loan Fund (SELF) is a nonprofit organization which provides loans, project management, and a list of approved contractors for home improvement projects to improve energy efficiency, water conservation, and storm preparedness in residential homes. Low-interest loans are available for all Florida homeowner applicants.
SELF focuses on empowering women, veterans, and low- and moderate-income homeowners who may have had trouble getting loans from other sources. Loan applicants will work with SELF staff to choose the project that will have the most impact on lowering utility bills or improving quality of life.
There is no minimum or maximum income requirement for applicants, and staff will work with each applicant to determine if they have the monthly income needed for a given project loan. There is no mandate that loan applicants occupy the home, making this loan source available to owners living outside of their home or to residential landlords.
Loan terms vary for each homeowner and each project.
- 5-9.5% interest rates
- $1,000-$10,000 projects are typical
- Homeowners save 2-80% on their utility bills
SELF provides opportunity to St. Pete residents by:
- Reducing the cost of electricity and water bills
- Preparing for storms and harsh Florida weather
- Investment in your home and improving quality of life
- Stimulating the local economy with sustainable, green-geared jobs
- Empowering minority-, veteran-, and woman-owned businesses in the St. Pete area
- Improving credit worth and future financial stability
SELF provides services and resources to clients with:
- List of SELF-approved, properly licensed, and experienced contractors
- Assistance in project management to ensure quality of work and timely completion
- Knowledgeable staff
- Favorable financing
SELF services and loans cover a range of projects:
- Hurricane-resistant door, window, and shutter installation
- Roof replacement, solar panel-ready when applicable
- Sewer lateral line rehabilitation
- Solar water heaters and electric panels
- More inclusive projects
Homeowners may apply now. Contractors interested in working with SELF may apply to become an approved contractor.