Public Vehicle Certificates
Drivers for Hire
All public vehicles used for the transportation for hire of up to 29 passengers, including the driver, where new fares begin within St. Petersburg City limits, are required to have a public vehicle certificate. City Code Sec. 28-27 This includes taxicabs, vans, limousines and car services, non-public sector buses, non-motorized vehicles, low speed vehicles, and vessels.
St. Petersburg City Code Chapter 17 and 28 requires each public vehicle and their drivers to comply with and obtain the following:
- Public Vehicle Certificate
- Local and National Background Check City Code Sec. 28-27
- Proof Of Vehicle Insurance — Certificate Of Liability
- Business Tax Receipt City Code Sec.17-123
City Code Sec. 28-15; each public vehicle owner shall have permanently affixed to the "public vehicle" a valid public vehicle certificate which shall be located on the driver's side of the vehicle on the lateral face of the bumper, trunk lid, or rear window and shall be visible from the exterior of the vehicle. View example image.
There shall be a rebuttable presumption that a public vehicle which does not have a valid certificate affixed to the vehicle is violating this provision.
Every officer, agent, or employee of any corporation, and every other person who violates or fails to comply with or who procures, aids, or abets in the violation of any provision of City Code shall be guilty of a municipal ordinance violation and may have a penalty enforced upon said person. A person convicted of a violation of this Article shall be punished by a fine not exceeding $500.00. With respect to violations that are continuous, each day the violation continues is a separate offense. City Code Sec. 28-2
Transportation Network Vehicles
A public vehicle is exempt from the certificate requirement if it is an exempt vehicle under Chapter 28. All vehicles claiming transportation network company exemption must show proof that they are operating under a state licensed company as provided by F.S. 627.748.
Please report all enforcement Issues related to Public Vehicle Certificates to the Police non-emergency line at 727-893-7780.
Resources and Applications
- Owners Check List
- Application for Public Vehicle Certificate
- Application for Additional Public Vehicle Certificates
- Application for Temporary Use Public Vehicle Certificate
- Application for Transfer Public Vehicle Certificate
- Affidavit of Public Vehicle Certificate(s): Lost, Stolen, Vandalized or Unavailable
- State of Florida Golf Cart/Low Speed Vehicle Conversion Application
- State of Florida Conversion of Low Speed Vehicles Procedures & Information
- Drivers Manifest and Conduct Requirements City Code Sec. 28-27
- Regulations and Standards for Public Vehicles City Code Sec. 28-14