Services and Responsibilities
- Facilitate the responsible planning and use of city resources.
- Provide on-going management and oversight of the use of city resources.
- Develop, monitor and analyze departmental and city-wide operating and CIP budgets.
- Oversee city-wide position control.
- Review and approve purchase requisitions.
- Monitor and report quarterly progress (budget vs. actual) and make projections.
- City-wide grants administration.
- Approve Budget Amendments and other City Council items.
- Perform research and generate reports.
- Provide departmental budget, grant and purchasing support.
In an effort to continue our commitment to “Government in the Sunshine”, and to enhance transparency in financial reporting, the City of St. Petersburg is offering an interactive reporting tool that allows citizens to explore budget and other financial data online in various graphical formats selected by the user. OpenGov, a California-based company specializing in data accessibility, pioneered this online application.
Fiscal Year 2021 City Budget Timetable
- December 2019 - Budget Department develops FY21 budget
- January 2020 - Capital Improvement Budget Kickoff meeting
- February 2020 - Operating Budget Kickoff meeting and CIP Budget Line Item Review Meetings
- March 2020 - Line-Item Review meetings for all departments with Deputy Mayor, City Administrator and budget staff
City Council Committee of the Whole Workshops
- April 23, 2020 - FY21 Capital Improvement Program Committee of the Whole Workshop
- May 5, 2020 - FY21 Operating Budget Committee of the Whole Workshop
Other Budget Milestones
- May 18, 2020 at 6 p.m. - FY21 Budget Open House – Location TBD
- July 1, 2020 – Pinellas County Property Appraiser certifies Preliminary Tax Roll
- July 15, 2020 – Mayor submits recommended FY21 Budget to City Council
- July 16, 2020 – City Council adopts tentative millage rate; sets September FY21 Budget Public Hearing times
- September 3, 2020 at 6 p.m. - Public Hearing #1 – Council Chamber, City Hall, 175 5th St. N
- City Council will adopt the tentative FY21 City Budget and millage rate.
- September 17, 2020 at 6 p.m. - Public Hearing #2 - Council Chamber, City Hall, 175 5th St. N
- City Council considers adoption of the final FY21 Budget and millage rate, and approval of the Capital Improvements Plan.
- October 1, 2020 – FY21 Budget Begins