Commercial Revitalization Program
This program provides grant money up to $100,000 to St. Pete projects located outside of the downtown core that involve future work on a new or existing commercial building or development and meet the following requirements:
- Improve business districts by redeveloping properties,
- decrease commercial vacancy rates,
- creating jobs,
- leverage private investment,
- add to the tax base, and
- improve the quality of life for surrounding neighborhoods.
HUBZone Empowerment Contracting Program
This program seeks to encourage economic development in historically underutilized business zones—HUBZones—through the establishment of preferences for award of Federal contracts to small businesses located in these areas. The programs falls under the auspices of the U.S. Small Business Administration. As of October 1, 2000, all Federal departments and agencies involved with procurement must factor into their contracting plans annual goals that have been established for the HUBZone Empowerment Contracting Program (FY2002 – 2.5% of total Federal prime contract awards, FY 2003 and each fiscal year thereafter – 3%).
For a business to qualify as a HUBZone small business the following criteria must be met:
- Small business by SBA standards
- Located in a HUBZone – SBA online mapping service
- Owned and controlled by one or more U.S. citizens, a Community Development Corporation, or Indian Tribe
- At least 35% of its employees reside in a HUBZone
Another benefit that HUBZone businesses are eligible for is higher SBA-guaranteed surety bonds on construction and service contract bids.
The district office that works with the City of St. Petersburg's HUBZone is the South Florida DO. Contacts at the office are Jack Geis (305-536-5841) or Gilbert Colon (305-536-5527).
Additional information can be obtained at www.sba.gov/hubzone the HUBZone web page.
View the City's HUBZone Map.
This program creates incentives for developers and property owners to provide workforce housing as a part of new development within the city.