St. Pete PAWS puts the City of St. Petersburg’s pet-friendly proclamation into action, making St. Petersburg a place where pets are happy, healthy and welcome. It shines a light on the unconditional love animals give and promotes compassion for all our two-legged and four-legged neighbors.
St. Petersburg is a city where pets are welcome and owners are caring, nurturing guardians working together to provide safe and secure environments.
- Enhance and expand St. Petersburg’s pawprint with projects and education that promote happy, welcome and healthy pets and pet families in our city's businesses, homes and parks.
- Build a framework of pet-friendly and pet-centric businesses and organizations, creating connections and partnering to maximize their collective skills and passion to make a positive impact on pets and the community.
- Shine a light on the pet-friendly jewel that St. Petersburg is and promote the tangible benefits pet-friendliness provides to our current residents, newcomers and visitors.
Responsible Pet Ownership
Pet-friendly communities thrive when pet owners are responsible and respectful. In addition to picking up and disposing of dog waste, follow these rules to ensure safe, welcoming communities.
- Dogs must be on a leash no longer than 6 feet long in areas open to the public, including City parks.
- Dogs may be off leash in fenced, designated dog parks.
- Dogs may be off leash in enclosed or limited areas for an event of limited duration as designated by City Council.
- Dogs are prohibited from athletic fields and playgrounds.
- Dogs must be on a leash at a premises other than the dog owner’s, unless given permission by the property owner or occupant.
- Dogs may be off leash within a fenced area on or off the premises of the owner.
Opportunities for Businesses
Coming soon: Mayor’s Pet-Friendly Business program. Check this page for updates.