Since 2015, recycling collection has been offered to residential customers. St. Petersburg residents have successfully contributed to reducing the amount of trash sent to the landfill by participating in the City’s recycling program.
Trash and recycling will be picked up in the designated location, either curbside or in the alley, on the designated collection day. For schedules and more, download the St. Pete Collects mobile app. The City also maintains drop-off recycling centers/brush sites.
There is no need to separate items for the City's recycling program. Items that may be recycled include:
- Glass containers (all colors)
- Aluminum & steel cans, steel jar lids
- Milk & juice cartons, drink boxes
- Most plastics with numbered triangles #1-7 - see below for plastics restrictions and guidelines
- Newspapers, magazines, mail, shopping ads, windowed envelopes
- Mixed paper/cardboard
All recyclables must be rinsed or free of food particles (no yard waste or regular trash).
Guidelines for Recycling Plastics
Put only recyclable material in the recycling container. No plastic bags in the recycling container!
Most plastics with numbered triangles (#1-7) are accepted in St. Petersburg’s recycling program with these exceptions:
- Plastic trash or grocery bags filled with recyclable materials (these bags and everything in them will be thrown out as part of the sorting process)
- Plastic grocery bags (return grocery or retail store plastic bags to store drop-off locations for recycling or purchase and use recyclable shopping bags)
- Dry cleaning bags
- Plastic wrappers (around packages of water bottles, paper towels, etc.)
- Flimsy plastic packaging
Not sure what’s recyclable or trash? Use the Waste Wizard through the St. Pete Collects mobile app.
Alley Container Placement Guidelines
This change affects approximately 31,000 addresses and only those addresses which currently have alley trash pickup.
To explain the move toward alley collection, a series of Frequently Asked Questions Concerning Alley Recycling has been developed. Residents may also contact the Sanitation Department with questions at 727-893-7838.
2019 Recycling Zone Calendars
Zone-specific recycling calendars and information about alley recycling are distributed by mail at the beginning of each year. For households that would like a calendar but did not receive one, contact Sanitation Customer Service at 727-893-7838.
Printable 2019 Residential Recycling Calendars
How Are We Doing?
In the spirit of transparency, the City releases a monthly scorecard to show the public how the recycling program is doing. The results typically cover the previous month.
Some key measurements used in determining the success of recycling in St. Petersburg are:
- Number of residents participating
- Amount of materials (tons) recycled
- City cost – both the amount received for materials taken to the recycling processor and the amount saved from lower quantities of trash being delivered to the County facility
Recycling customers who missed collection on the designated recycling day may contact 727-893-7838 to reschedule recycling pickup. Calls received at the Sanitation Department before 4 p.m. may have recycling collected the same day. Calls received after 4 p.m. will be collected the following weekday.
Residential recycling customers are reminded that under city ordinance, containers may be placed at the curb by 7 p.m. the night before collection; by 7 a.m. on collection day and removed by 7 p.m. the same day to the side or back of the residence.
Safely dispose of electronics or hazardous chemicals during Mobile Collection Days in St. Petersburg or throughout the year in Pinellas County. Mobile Collection Days are held from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m.
St. Petersburg residents may also call the Sanitation Department at 727-893-7398 for FREE pickup of TVs, furniture or computer equipment.The City maintains drop-off recycling centers/brush sites.