St. Pete PAWS
A Great City for all creatures
St. Pete PAWS puts the City of St. Petersburg’s pet-friendly proclamation into action, establishing St. Pete as a place where animal companions are happy, healthy, and welcome. The proclamation promotes compassion for St. Pete’s animal friends and encourages their human guardians to work together to provide safe, secure, and caring environments across the city.
The Purpose of PAWS
- Enhance and expand St. Pete’s paw print with projects and education that promote happy, healthy, pets and pet families at home, as well as in the city's businesses, parks, and other public spaces.
- Build a framework of pet-friendly and pet-centric businesses and organizations, creating connections and partnering to maximize their collective skills and passion to make a positive impact on pets and the community.
- Shine a light on St. Pete as a pet-friendly city and promote the tangible benefits pet-friendliness provides to current residents, newcomers, and visitors.
Pet-friendly communities thrive when humans are responsible and respectful. In addition to picking up and disposing of dog waste, residents and visitors should follow the following rules to ensure safe, welcoming spaces for all.
- Dogs must be on a leash no longer than 6 feet long in areas open to the public, including City parks.
- Dogs may be off leash in fenced, designated dog parks.
- Dogs may be off leash in enclosed or limited areas for an event of limited duration as designated by City Council.
- Dogs are prohibited from athletic fields and playgrounds.
- Dogs must be on a leash at a location other than the dog place of residence, unless given permission by the property owner or occupant.
- Dogs may be off leash within a fenced area on or off the premises of the owner.
Pick It Up
Besides being unpleasant to encounter, dog waste that isn’t picked up can make its way to local waterways via rainwater. The bacteria found in dog waste poses a threat to public health and water quality.
Mayor's Pet-Friendly Business Program
Eligible businesses are invited to apply for the Mayor's Pet-Friendly Business program to take part in the movement to make St. Pete a place where pets are happy, healthy, and welcome.
Businesses that sign up for the program will receive:
- Recognition on the pet-friendly map
- Window decal
- Shareable social media graphic
- Informational resources for hosting pets
Businesses that serve food are also required to obtain a Dog Dining permit through the Planning and Economic Development Department.
Businesses and patrons are encouraged to complete the surveys found at the below link to help inform St. Pete PAWS.