Childs Park Lift Station 2736
Lift Station 87 Wet Weather Flow Transfer Project
The City continues to invest in new infrastructure to move wastewater more efficiently through the system, minimize the potential for wet weather overflows and protect the environment. The Lift Station 87 Wet Weather Flow Transfer Project involves designing, permitting and building a new lift station at 690 43rd Street South in the Childs Park area. It also includes a new underground pipeline to connect the new lift station to the Pasadena Master Pump Station located on Park Circle South. A link to the project map is shown below.
This new facility and pipeline will help balance wet weather flow between the Northwest Water Reclamation Facility and the Southwest Water Reclamation Facility and improve wastewater service reliability. This project is required by Florida Department of Environment Protection Consent Order No. 16-1280 to address wet weather overflows from the City’s wastewater system.
The lift station will:
- Be an unmanned facility housing a wet well, connecting pipelines and valves and two diesel pumps
- Be operated manually by City staff only during times of high rainfall
- Have bi-directional flow capabilities so operators can send wet weather flows to either the Northwest or the Southwest Water Reclamation Facilities
- Feature low-level safety lighting and 12-foot tall acoustical enclosures for noise control to protect nearby residents’ quality of life
- Be fenced and sodded
The lift station will not include odor control equipment as it is unnecessary due to the infrequent anticipated use of the lift station, which will be deeply cleaned after each use preventing any unwanted odors.
Where feasible, the project team plans to install the new pipeline by horizontal directional drill, a trenchless construction technique that requires less construction space and minimizes surface disruption. Horizontal directional drilling is commonly used to avoid water bodies or sensitive environmental areas, busy roadways and historic features.
While crews are building the new lift station pipeline, they will also replace brick manholes and about 460 feet of graving sewer line on 43rd St. S.
Potential Public Impacts
Construction will occur at the new lift station site and along the chosen pipeline route. The pipeline route was selected because it avoids historic brick roads and minimizes safety risks, public inconvenience and impacts to the environment and the traveling public. However, there will be temporary construction impacts, including:
- Construction activity, traffic, noise and minor vibration from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. Monday through Friday; some night or weekend work may be required to reduce impacts to the community.
- Temporary closure of 43rd St. S., from the YMCA’s entrance to the southwest corner of Fairmount Park Elementary School’s property.
- Lane closures on 1st Ave. S.
- Impeded driveway access on 1st Ave. S. during horizontal directional drill pipe installation (long segments of fused pipe will be strung along the roadway, temporarily blocking driveways for 5-7 days).
- Increased construction traffic near the new lift station site and near pipeline construction.
Motorists, pedestrians and bicyclists should use caution when traveling near construction and follow all detour and lane closure signs.
- October 2021-Late 2021: Complete Design and Permitting
- Late 2021-Early 2022: Construction Start
- May 23, 2022: Substantial Completion
- June 2022: Construction Complete (Tentative)
Schedule is subject to change based on weather, permitting or other unforeseen conditions.
June 30, 2022: Lift Station is Operational
March 17, 2022: 5th Avenue South Closures
March 7, 2022: 43rd Street South Closures
Feb. 1, 2022: Lift Station Construction to Close a Portion of 43rd Street South in Mid-February
Dec. 27. 2021: Construction Will Close Southern Lane of 1st Avenue South Beginning Jan. 4, 2022
Dec. 20, 2021: Construction Begins Dec. 28 for New Wastewater Pipeline
Public Input Opportunities
Public meetings will be held virtually through Zoom.
Pre-Construction Public Meeting
Thursday, Nov. 18, 2021 at 6 p.m.
- View the Presentation here.
- View the Recorded Meeting here. Passcode: 8F@CN*AF
- Complete this survey after attending the public meeting.
Public Meeting #1
Thursday, July 29, 2021 at 6:30 p.m.